Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Relative Energy from Eigenfrequency Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I have been working with COMSOL 4.0 (mostly heat transfer modules) but now need to analyze a structure with an eigenfrequency analysis.

I can generate the model and the eigenfrequency(s), but I would like to end up with the results presented as a plot of frequency vs energy.

Anybody know the steps I need to take using 4.0a?

Thanks Everyone

1 Reply Last Post 9 ott 2013, 14:15 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 ott 2013, 14:15 GMT-4
Hi Brandon,

this has often been discussed in this forum. An eigenmode or eigenfrequency is essentially a mathematical property of the system. It has a certain shape but it doens't have a certain energy or amplitude. The deformations you see in the plots are arbitrary.

If you want to evaluate energies or amplitudes you have to run a frequency domain study and excite the system some way.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Brandon, this has often been discussed in this forum. An eigenmode or eigenfrequency is essentially a mathematical property of the system. It has a certain shape but it doens't have a certain energy or amplitude. The deformations you see in the plots are arbitrary. If you want to evaluate energies or amplitudes you have to run a frequency domain study and excite the system some way. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.