Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Toroid inductor & HB curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to get energy in the core from a model with implementation of HB curve (non ideal magnetic material), but I don't get magnetic energy inside the core. As seen on other topics a second Ampere's Law with HB is added for the magnetic material.

It's then not possible to compute the inductance value from magnetic energy as there is no result in the core.

3 Replies Last Post 14 ott 2013, 10:01 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ott 2013, 05:27 GMT-4
Hi Alexandre,

I am missing the magnetic energy which is not available for HB-curves. Indeed the magnetic energy density variable Wm is defined as NaN in Comsol. What you can try is the following: you integrate your HB function offside and define a new function and use this for a better definition of Wm. This requires some advanced features, and you have to search through the variable list in the equations node under Ampere's law.

Good luck.

Jens
Hi Alexandre, I am missing the magnetic energy which is not available for HB-curves. Indeed the magnetic energy density variable Wm is defined as NaN in Comsol. What you can try is the following: you integrate your HB function offside and define a new function and use this for a better definition of Wm. This requires some advanced features, and you have to search through the variable list in the equations node under Ampere's law. Good luck. Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ott 2013, 07:26 GMT-4
Found a workaround by integrating "by hand" HdB so then I get Wm.

But I'm a bit surprised because the same model simulated on v4.2 is able to determine mf.Wm everywhere without additional work. Any idea about it?
Found a workaround by integrating "by hand" HdB so then I get Wm. But I'm a bit surprised because the same model simulated on v4.2 is able to determine mf.Wm everywhere without additional work. Any idea about it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ott 2013, 10:01 GMT-4
Hm, interesting. I noticed this a long time ago, when it was still 4.2,

Regards

Jens
Hm, interesting. I noticed this a long time ago, when it was still 4.2, Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.