Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic field of a conductive cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm a newby in COMSOL and I have some experience with magnetostatic calculation.
Now I want to calculate the electrostatic field in a conductive cylinder.
There is some example I can use?
Do you have some advise on the way to model my problem?

Thank you in advance for your help

3 Replies Last Post 11 nov 2013, 11:03 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 nov 2013, 08:05 GMT-5
I have simulated a simple capator, basically two rectangular electrodes.
I have used the AC/DC Electrostatics (es) and my simulations seems to be good.
What is not very clear to me is the difference between "Terminal" and "Electric Potential" nodes.
I have performed two studies: one with two Electric Potential nodes where I have specified a certain voltage V0 for each electrode and th other one with two Terminal nodes but I have used the same V0 as before.
There is actually no difference, as I expected, but there should be a difference between the two kind of nodes which I can't get.

Do you have any clue?
I have simulated a simple capator, basically two rectangular electrodes. I have used the AC/DC Electrostatics (es) and my simulations seems to be good. What is not very clear to me is the difference between "Terminal" and "Electric Potential" nodes. I have performed two studies: one with two Electric Potential nodes where I have specified a certain voltage V0 for each electrode and th other one with two Terminal nodes but I have used the same V0 as before. There is actually no difference, as I expected, but there should be a difference between the two kind of nodes which I can't get. Do you have any clue?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 nov 2013, 09:55 GMT-5

Francesco,

inside an AC/DC model there is no difference between potential and terminal BC. However, you can connect a circuit node to the terminal and thus include electrical circuitry into the model. That is when you want to use the terminal BC.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Francesco, inside an AC/DC model there is no difference between potential and terminal BC. However, you can connect a circuit node to the terminal and thus include electrical circuitry into the model. That is when you want to use the terminal BC. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 nov 2013, 11:03 GMT-5
It is clear now, thank you
It is clear now, thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.