Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to remove parts of geometry so that another shape may be inserted in.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am trying to create 3D representation of a femur with a fracture, with a rod going through the center with pins attaching to it from the outer layer of the bone. I don't know how to remove the areas of the bone so that pins aren't merging with the bone as I insert them so that they come into contact with the rod. I also wish to be able to apply different material properties to all 3. I would really appreciate help in this regard. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 13 nov 2013, 11:13 GMT-5
Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 nov 2013, 11:13 GMT-5
Hi its simple
you just need to do Boolean operation on the geometries . First draw all the geometries independently then use 'Boolean operation (You will get the 'Boolean operation' when you make right click on geometry ) .....'subtraction ' to cut out and 'addition' to unite 2 or more geometries.

Finally you will be able to apply different material properties to each regions by selecting.
Hi its simple you just need to do Boolean operation on the geometries . First draw all the geometries independently then use 'Boolean operation (You will get the 'Boolean operation' when you make right click on geometry ) .....'subtraction ' to cut out and 'addition' to unite 2 or more geometries. Finally you will be able to apply different material properties to each regions by selecting.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.