Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of Van der Waals forces using Comsol v4.3

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate the attractive Van der Waals force between two nanometric structures. My initial idea was to integrate the Lennard-Jones potential created by one domain (\integral (rho/M)*(1/|r1-r2|^8-1/|r1-r2|^14)*(r1-r2)*dxdydz, however I'm not able to integrate functions that have more variables (i.e. the result of integrating this over R1 would be a function of R2). What suggestions would you have to approach this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Marc

4 Replies Last Post 11 giu 2017, 13:46 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 dic 2013, 10:56 GMT-5
Hi Marc,

you would probably like to use the dest() operator. Please check out the help for it.
If it does not work out send your file here or to us in support@comsol.com

Sven
Hi Marc, you would probably like to use the dest() operator. Please check out the help for it. If it does not work out send your file here or to us in support@comsol.com Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2013, 16:58 GMT-5
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Posted: 10 years ago 12 set 2014, 15:51 GMT-4
Marc - I'm interested in your VdW model; did you succeed in implementing it in 4.3?

thanks,

Manyalibo
Marc - I'm interested in your VdW model; did you succeed in implementing it in 4.3? thanks, Manyalibo

Posted: 7 years ago 11 giu 2017, 13:46 GMT-4
I am as well. I am trying to model Van Der Waals forces for a RF MEMS Switch. Any nudge in the right direction would help.
I am as well. I am trying to model Van Der Waals forces for a RF MEMS Switch. Any nudge in the right direction would help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.