Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitance from sinusoid voltage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

For modeling I am using 3D Comsol Multiphysics // AC/DC module // Quasi Statics, electric // time harmonic analysis.
In postprocessing Comsol calculates and plots electric potential and some other predefined quantities at different time steps .
Electric potential in boundary condition is sine wave: 0.5*sin(2*pi*f*t[1/s])

Now, is it possible to calculate capacitance in those steps from electric potential?

Thanks for your reply

3 Replies Last Post 9 dic 2013, 07:26 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2013, 12:09 GMT-5
Hi,

Maybe this example can help you:
www.comsol.com/model/computing-capacitance-12689

Br,
Hi, Maybe this example can help you: http://www.comsol.com/model/computing-capacitance-12689 Br,

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2013, 12:29 GMT-5
Sarah thanks for the quick reply!

The problem is, that I have 3.5a version and cannot open the attached model file ... in pdf file I didn't find any results for capacitance, just electric potential and field in capacitor. Any other clue?
Sarah thanks for the quick reply! The problem is, that I have 3.5a version and cannot open the attached model file ... in pdf file I didn't find any results for capacitance, just electric potential and field in capacitor. Any other clue?

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2013, 07:26 GMT-5
Hi again!
Ok, maybe I found solution ... I added application mode: AC/DC module -> Statics, electric -> electrostatics. Computing time is much longer (3x),I get results, capacitance and admittance, but for now not sure if those results are alright.

Next:
What is the difference, in boundary condition, between port+forced voltage and just electric potential?
Do I have to insert voltage in both conditions (electric currents and electrostatics)?

Thanks for reply!
Hi again! Ok, maybe I found solution ... I added application mode: AC/DC module -> Statics, electric -> electrostatics. Computing time is much longer (3x),I get results, capacitance and admittance, but for now not sure if those results are alright. Next: What is the difference, in boundary condition, between port+forced voltage and just electric potential? Do I have to insert voltage in both conditions (electric currents and electrostatics)? Thanks for reply!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.