Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle tracing - release from a set of points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In the particle tracing module (using 3D mathematical particle tracing) is it possible to release the particles from a set of defined (x,y,z) points or from points along a parametric curve?

I can draw the curve in the geometry but am unable to use it to generate particles. In the "Release" and "Inlet" nodes you can only select domains or boundaries and not curves or points.

So then I tried the "Release from Grid" node and I could define ranges for x, y and z but then I get every x, y and z combination rather than (x1, y1, z1), (x2, y2, z2) etc which is what I need. So then I thought to make a range just for the x coordinate and then to define the y and z coordinates (and starting velocities vx, vy and vz ) based on the x coordinate for each particle (qx?) but I cannot find how to refer to its x coordinate - maybe there is some hidden variable I could refer to - I tried to guess it's name but without success.

Any ideas?

Matthew

5 Replies Last Post 19 ago 2015, 09:56 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthew Cox

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 28 lug 2015, 13:15 GMT-4
Hi,

I have the same problem, did you solve your problem?

I want to import a set of points with different x,y and z coordinates.

Cheers
Sepideh
Hi, I have the same problem, did you solve your problem? I want to import a set of points with different x,y and z coordinates. Cheers Sepideh

Posted: 9 years ago 28 lug 2015, 13:39 GMT-4
Hi Sepideh,

I was not able to figure this out with COMSOL. I switched to using SIMION for particle tracing which was much more flexible on the particle properties (scripts can be used to change particle properties during flight).
Hi Sepideh, I was not able to figure this out with COMSOL. I switched to using SIMION for particle tracing which was much more flexible on the particle properties (scripts can be used to change particle properties during flight).

Posted: 9 years ago 17 ago 2015, 04:51 GMT-4
In the latest version of Comsol Particle tracing Module you can now import a set of particle starting points, directions and other properties from a file, which is very useful.

You can also define starting cords in the provided physics interface and tell it to use all combinations or selected combinations. The only thing you can't do yet is use parameters in input fields which can take a list and you have to use literal (fixed ) numbers or functions based on literal numbers.

So I'd give Comsol 8 out of 10 for this so far. If they extend it so you can use parameters in all the input fields then I'd give them 10 out of 10.
In the latest version of Comsol Particle tracing Module you can now import a set of particle starting points, directions and other properties from a file, which is very useful. You can also define starting cords in the provided physics interface and tell it to use all combinations or selected combinations. The only thing you can't do yet is use parameters in input fields which can take a list and you have to use literal (fixed ) numbers or functions based on literal numbers. So I'd give Comsol 8 out of 10 for this so far. If they extend it so you can use parameters in all the input fields then I'd give them 10 out of 10.

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 17 ago 2015, 09:34 GMT-4
Hi Matthew, the ability to use parameters for the Initial Coordinates in the Release from Grid feature will be available in the next version, V5.2. You will also be able to use parameters in the Release times edit field.

Thank you for the feedback.

Dan
Hi Matthew, the ability to use parameters for the Initial Coordinates in the Release from Grid feature will be available in the next version, V5.2. You will also be able to use parameters in the Release times edit field. Thank you for the feedback. Dan

Posted: 9 years ago 19 ago 2015, 09:56 GMT-4
Sounds good - when is Comsol 5.2 expected to be released?
Sounds good - when is Comsol 5.2 expected to be released?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.