Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Irregular grating modeling using ports or background field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am a novice at comsol and has been building my first model for some time. I want to calculate the scattered field caused by a plane wave incident upon an irregular grating (with dozens of periods). First I used port as the excitation, but found that the scattered field is reflected at the port, which appears to be a tricky problem to solve based on the discussion on the Internet.

So instead I use the background field approach. However, after setting a plane wave (like exp(-j*emw.k*y)) as the background field and solving the model, I find that the background field is present both in the air and inside the grating material (with n=1.5). So now I am very suspicious about the correctness of my model, since it is the sum of the background field and scattered field that has to satisfy the wave equation. Can anyone help me? Many thanks!

Tan Jia

1 Reply Last Post 19 set 2014, 08:07 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jia Tan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 19 set 2014, 08:07 GMT-4
I would like to know it as well. What is the difference between the "port type" and "background wave type" attitude? It has been solved and discussed many times, but not the basics, only some pieces of the problems and the Documentation is not very helpful. Could anyone please write 5 points which are important to these attitudes and summarize with useful tips (maybe even in the relation to the far field - sizes limits etc. ... )? Please!

Thank you very much!
Katerina
I would like to know it as well. What is the difference between the "port type" and "background wave type" attitude? It has been solved and discussed many times, but not the basics, only some pieces of the problems and the Documentation is not very helpful. Could anyone please write 5 points which are important to these attitudes and summarize with useful tips (maybe even in the relation to the far field - sizes limits etc. ... )? Please! Thank you very much! Katerina

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.