Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CAD import via Livelink for Inventor: object misalignment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm having a problem using the Livelink for Inventor in COMSOL 4.3.a.

I have a CAD design which consists of several parts:
- An outer structure
- A number of flat electrodes inside this structure. (Each of these electrodes is a part in itself. They don't make up an array.) The number of electrodes is a parameter in Inventor which is synced through the livelink, so I can control it from COMSOL.
- The internal volume surrounding all these parts

I open up COMSOL, add a livelink in the geometry node, click synchronize, and something goes awry:
- These electrode parts (objects in COMSOL) are not aligned properly with the internal volume object that is supposed to surround them: they are slightly shifted (see image in the attachment).
- Furthermore, some of the domains of each electrode have disappeared (each electrode consists of three layers).
- In addition, if in COMSOL I change the thickness of the electrodes (another parameter in Inventor which I can control from COMSOL) and synchronize the livelink, some electrodes disappear altogether.

I've tried changing the absolute import tolerance in the livelink node, to no avail.

When I go back into the Inventor GUI, however, everything looks perfect: the electrodes are all there, intact, perfectly aligned with the internal volume, with the correct (adjusted from COMSOL) thickness.

Changing the geometry in Inventor itself in the manners described above also doesn't cause any of the aforementioned problems.

Importing all the parts into COMSOL as .STP files (ie without using the livelink) also works fine.

So I imagine the problem resides with the Livelink. Do any of you have any experience with similar problems or suggestions for solutions?

thanks in advance,
Dennis

0 Replies Last Post 8 gen 2014, 11:26 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dennis Cardoen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.