Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

The 'penalty method' in the 'Pull-in of an RF MEMS switch' model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In comsol 4.4 this model provides a very valuable method to calculate the pull-in time of an RF MEMS switch through transient analysis, but I'am a little confused about the parameter 'tn=5e5 pa'( input estimate of the contact force). How can I set the appropriate value of 'tn' to make sure 'the elastic stiffness and the contact force' has been correctly tuned?
Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 28 set 2016, 10:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Senna

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago 14 lug 2014, 07:36 GMT-4
I am also confused about how to set this value for different device with different material.
Have you found a way?
I am also confused about how to set this value for different device with different material. Have you found a way?

Posted: 9 years ago 24 giu 2015, 23:33 GMT-4
Hallo Senna...have u got the answer for your question

"In comsol 4.4 this model provides a very valuable method to calculate the pull-in time of an RF MEMS switch through transient analysis, but I'am a little confused about the parameter 'tn=5e5 pa'( input estimate of the contact force). How can I set the appropriate value of 'tn' to make sure 'the elastic stiffness and the contact force' has been correctly tuned?
Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance."

Can u share with me..how to set appropriate value of 'tn'?
Hallo Senna...have u got the answer for your question "In comsol 4.4 this model provides a very valuable method to calculate the pull-in time of an RF MEMS switch through transient analysis, but I'am a little confused about the parameter 'tn=5e5 pa'( input estimate of the contact force). How can I set the appropriate value of 'tn' to make sure 'the elastic stiffness and the contact force' has been correctly tuned? Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance." Can u share with me..how to set appropriate value of 'tn'?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 25 giu 2015, 03:01 GMT-4
Hi,

A penalty method is an approximate way of computing contact, where a stiff spring is inserted between the contacting boundaries. If you do not supply the contact force (actually: contact pressure) estimate, then there will be an overlap between the contacting boundaries such that F_contact = k*d where k is the penalty stiffness and d is the overlap (= gap g with but with positive sign).

So in order to decrease the artificial overlap you should have a high penalty stiffness. But a too high penalty stiffness is detrimental to the numerics. A good starting point is to use something of the order E/h where E is the Young's modulus, and h is a characteristic element size in the contact region.

Adding a reasonable contact force estimate 'tn' will also decrease the overlap, since the contact force will then be computed as F_contact = k*d + tn, and that would reduce 'd'. But the contact force input is not necessary, it only improves the accuracy.

If you have no idea about what contact pressures to expect, try to do the analysis once with tn=0, and then look at the results. You can then enter the resulting contact pressure as input, and do a refined analysis.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, A penalty method is an approximate way of computing contact, where a stiff spring is inserted between the contacting boundaries. If you do not supply the contact force (actually: contact pressure) estimate, then there will be an overlap between the contacting boundaries such that F_contact = k*d where k is the penalty stiffness and d is the overlap (= gap g with but with positive sign). So in order to decrease the artificial overlap you should have a high penalty stiffness. But a too high penalty stiffness is detrimental to the numerics. A good starting point is to use something of the order E/h where E is the Young's modulus, and h is a characteristic element size in the contact region. Adding a reasonable contact force estimate 'tn' will also decrease the overlap, since the contact force will then be computed as F_contact = k*d + tn, and that would reduce 'd'. But the contact force input is not necessary, it only improves the accuracy. If you have no idea about what contact pressures to expect, try to do the analysis once with tn=0, and then look at the results. You can then enter the resulting contact pressure as input, and do a refined analysis. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 25 giu 2015, 03:10 GMT-4
Hi...tq for your answer Henrik.

May i know how to determine 'h' (characteristic element size) in the PUll in Of an RF MEMS Switch model.Tq in advance

Regards
Fandi
Hi...tq for your answer Henrik. May i know how to determine 'h' (characteristic element size) in the PUll in Of an RF MEMS Switch model.Tq in advance Regards Fandi

Posted: 8 years ago 28 set 2016, 10:40 GMT-4
Hi Fandi,

I have the same preoccupation as you for the estimation of the contact force. Did you find a method to calculate the characteristic element size (h)?

Regards,
Dorra
Hi Fandi, I have the same preoccupation as you for the estimation of the contact force. Did you find a method to calculate the characteristic element size (h)? Regards, Dorra

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.