Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying boundary load over specified length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I have applied a force over an elastic domain to cause deformation. However, I do not want the force to be applied over the whole domain. Rather, I want to only apply the force over the first 3/10 of the length. How would I specify this?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 12 mar 2014, 14:36 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mar 2014, 04:35 GMT-4
Hi,

There are a couple of ways you can do this (examples below are for a force along a boundary in 2D):

- Add a couple of points to the geometry along the boundary where you want to apply the force. COMSOL then creates a separate boundary segment between those points, which you can select as the boundary to apply the force to.

- Use a Boolean expression to apply a force along only part of the boundary, such as

Force*(x>0 && x<0.3)

if the boundary is oriented in the x direction, and Force is the applied force (a value, expression, or parameter). That force then is nonzero only where x > 0 and < 0.3.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, There are a couple of ways you can do this (examples below are for a force along a boundary in 2D): - Add a couple of points to the geometry along the boundary where you want to apply the force. COMSOL then creates a separate boundary segment between those points, which you can select as the boundary to apply the force to. - Use a Boolean expression to apply a force along only part of the boundary, such as Force*(x>0 && x 0 and < 0.3. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mar 2014, 14:36 GMT-4
Hello Magnus,

Thank you very much for the help!!! It worked out perfectly

Best,
Aaron
Hello Magnus, Thank you very much for the help!!! It worked out perfectly Best, Aaron

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.