Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extruded round edges don't appear smooth

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm a complete COMSOL novice, so I'm probably missing something extremely obvious, however:

I am drawing essentially a circle with a rectangle cut out of it to provide a flat edge, and extrude this in the z direction so I have a flat-sided cylinder.
In the 2D workplane, the edge of the shape appears very smooth, however, after extrusion the circular top appears jagged, and not a smooth curve like it was pre-extrusion.

Does anyone have any tips/fixes for resolving this issue?
I've attached a screenshot of the image- you can see it's not very smooth.
Many thanks in advance,

Sam

2 Replies Last Post 21 mar 2014, 05:48 GMT-4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mar 2014, 03:02 GMT-4
Internally, the top is represented as a circular arc - what you see is a visualization artifact. You can change the quality if you want to:

1. Open the Preferences dialog.
2. Select Graphics and Plot Windows in the list to the left.
3. Select "Fine" in the Detail combobox near the top.
4. Click OK.
Internally, the top is represented as a circular arc - what you see is a visualization artifact. You can change the quality if you want to: 1. Open the Preferences dialog. 2. Select Graphics and Plot Windows in the list to the left. 3. Select "Fine" in the Detail combobox near the top. 4. Click OK.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mar 2014, 05:48 GMT-4
Brilliant, Gunnar- fixed my issue.

Many thanks!
Sam
Brilliant, Gunnar- fixed my issue. Many thanks! Sam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.