Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[RF module, Mie scattering Problem] Why is time averaged power flow still dependent on time (or phase)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for any response and comments on the following problem I met in my modeling:

In my simulation of light scattered off gold nanoparticles, after computing the scattered fields, I made slice plots of power flow to see how the power is transported. I also changed the phase of solution to view the solution at different angles (phase), and you can find in the attachment where I changed the phase of solution. I found that while ewfd.Poavx (y, z) is invariant with changing of phase, which is also consistent with physics, the quantity ewfd.relPoavx (y, z) is changing upon changing of phase, which is contradictory to physics.

In COMSOL, all these quantities are predefined where ewfd.Poavx (y, z) is called "Power flow, time average, x (y ,z) component" and emw.relPoavx (y, z) is called "Power flow of the relative fields, time average, x (y, z) component", respectively. My question is, if all these quantities are already time averaged, why are they still dependent on phase? It seems that COMSOL deals correctly with the power flow of total fields (ewfd.Poavx (y, z)), but it may do something wrong with the power flow of relative fields or scattered fields (emw.relPoavx (y, z)).

Does anyone have some clue to solve this? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks a lot,
Song

0 Replies Last Post 26 mar 2014, 08:18 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Song

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.