Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mulitple Modes on Numerical Port

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol community,

I am trying to get a rather simple simulation working so that I can use it in a more complex case, but I am running into problems with computing S-parameters between multiple modes on a port. So the setup is as follows: circular PEC waveguide with ports on each end. Each port is set to numerical which are solved using the boundary mode analysis with two modes being set. I can compute the study step for the boundary mode analysis and I observe two separate modes at each port.

Now I want to use these two solved for modes in a frequency domain study, in which scattering parameters between each port and each mode will be computed. For example, getting S_{21} between mode 1 on port 1 and mode 2 on port 2. I can get it working for a single mode on each port, but I have no clue to get it for multiple modes. Can anyone lend me a hand?

2 Replies Last Post 2 apr 2014, 17:44 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2014, 13:01 GMT-4
Figured it out, need to set multiple ports each with their own mode. Learned this from the polarized_circular_ports tutorial.

I got to say, a forum mod could of read this post and replied with this answer right away. I question the uselessness of this community sometimes.
Figured it out, need to set multiple ports each with their own mode. Learned this from the polarized_circular_ports tutorial. I got to say, a forum mod could of read this post and replied with this answer right away. I question the uselessness of this community sometimes.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2014, 17:44 GMT-4
Hello Justin,
The moderators of this forum do just that: moderate it.
Technical support for the software is not provided by COMSOL through this Forum but rather through the support portal www.comsol.com/support/
Best,
Jeff
Hello Justin, The moderators of this forum do just that: moderate it. Technical support for the software is not provided by COMSOL through this Forum but rather through the support portal www.comsol.com/support/ Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.