Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field just above an interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I apply a static electric field across a 2D air gap.

Somewhere in the air gal I place a square dielectric. I notice the solved E field is discontinuous at the air-dielectric interface. So it's a different value just inside and just outside the dielectric.

Now I want to plot the E field along one of the edges of the dielectric, just inside or just outside it. I could draw another slightly larger or smaller box around it, and plot E along the edge of this new box, but that tends to mess up my meshing, and I won't get the true boundary values that way. Is there a better way?

5 Replies Last Post 15 apr 2014, 13:53 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 apr 2014, 12:42 GMT-4
There's operator in COMSOL to evaluate variables on a specific side of a boundary.

--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
There's operator in COMSOL to evaluate variables on a specific side of a boundary. -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 apr 2014, 13:07 GMT-4
Thanks. Can you tell me what the operator is? I did some google searching just now but I'm not finding it.
Thanks. Can you tell me what the operator is? I did some google searching just now but I'm not finding it.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 apr 2014, 13:28 GMT-4

I would recommend to search in the COMSOL documentation.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I would recommend to search in the COMSOL documentation. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 apr 2014, 13:34 GMT-4
Hm, I'm still not finding it. Not sure what to search for..

"evaluate variable on side of boundary"
"plot one side of boundary"
"COMSOL operator to evaluate variables on a specific side of a boundary"
...?

These search terms are returning too many false positives.. Can you please tell me the operator name so I can go straight to it?
Hm, I'm still not finding it. Not sure what to search for.. "evaluate variable on side of boundary" "plot one side of boundary" "COMSOL operator to evaluate variables on a specific side of a boundary" ...? These search terms are returning too many false positives.. Can you please tell me the operator name so I can go straight to it?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 apr 2014, 13:53 GMT-4
I think they are thinking of the "up" and "down" operators, see the Reference Manual's section on built-in operators (page 209 and following in version 4.4 of that manual).
Jeff
I think they are thinking of the "up" and "down" operators, see the Reference Manual's section on built-in operators (page 209 and following in version 4.4 of that manual). Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.