Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

converging-diverging solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a coupled mass-heat and momentum transfer system , why does the solver stop after 70% progress?

the message appears that the residual is greater than the relative tolerance .What could be the casue of this converging-diverging behavior . I tried finer mesh size and different solvers . Problem persists

1 Reply Last Post 5 apr 2010, 08:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 apr 2010, 08:17 GMT-4
Hi

A couple of possible items I have experienced:
-to gross steps if you run a transient or parameter analysis with non-linear model
-mesh inapproriated in some regions (with high gradients)
-initial conditions too far from expected results

Use the plot while solving and its advanced features to see how things changes, this might give you a clue why it's diverging

Las thing you could increase the relative tolerance if you are almost there, and perhaps rerun the simulation starting from the first saved solution.

Or try the segregated solver to separate you problem into different levels, typically OK for phenomena with very different time/reaction behaviour

Good luck
Ivar
Hi A couple of possible items I have experienced: -to gross steps if you run a transient or parameter analysis with non-linear model -mesh inapproriated in some regions (with high gradients) -initial conditions too far from expected results ... Use the plot while solving and its advanced features to see how things changes, this might give you a clue why it's diverging Las thing you could increase the relative tolerance if you are almost there, and perhaps rerun the simulation starting from the first saved solution. Or try the segregated solver to separate you problem into different levels, typically OK for phenomena with very different time/reaction behaviour Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.