Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI blood flow in artery

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate pulsatile blood flow in an cylindrical elastic artery. I'm using a 2D axi-symmetric FSI model, and an interpolation function for the inlet profile, which looks like the CarotidArteryProfile.jpg that I've attached. I did a simulation using just the unsteady laminar module using this inlet profile, and it worked great. However, when I try the FSI module, I am getting the error shown in Error.jpg which I've also attached. The error pops up almost immediately. I also receive a warning about my mesh which can be seen in Warning.jpg. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 29 nov 2014, 19:49 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonathan Erbelding

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 29 nov 2014, 19:49 GMT-5
Hi,

I have two suggestions. The first one is to check the velocity in initial settings. It is set to 0 by default in FSI interface. Your initial value for the velocity at the inlet boundary seems around 0.075 [m/s] in CarotidArteryProfile.JPG. This discrepancy luckily works for fluid flow only but I doubt this still works for FSI. The other suggestion is to use ‘strict’ time stepping. Inside COMSOL, default time stepping is ‘free’, which is not always good for time-varying boundary conditions. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Myungwu
Hi, I have two suggestions. The first one is to check the velocity in initial settings. It is set to 0 by default in FSI interface. Your initial value for the velocity at the inlet boundary seems around 0.075 [m/s] in CarotidArteryProfile.JPG. This discrepancy luckily works for fluid flow only but I doubt this still works for FSI. The other suggestion is to use ‘strict’ time stepping. Inside COMSOL, default time stepping is ‘free’, which is not always good for time-varying boundary conditions. Hope this helps. Regards, Myungwu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.