Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COIL CURRENT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hy!!!

I have a problem regarding calculation of current in a multi turn coil.
I have a value of 2mV induced by a moving magnet in Coil and want to find the current in a coil. My coil type is Circular.

According to documentation help I tried the "Automatic Current Calculation" subnode to the Multi-Turn Coil Domain but it is not available when the coil type is circular and secondly documentation asks for Eigen Study where as my case is Time dependant.

Thanks in advance, Your help is really required because I really need it.
Best Wishes

4 Replies Last Post 26 mag 2014, 11:37 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mag 2014, 04:49 GMT-4
Hi,

two options.

1. You set the coil type to "numeric" and use the automatic curent calculation.
When switched to numeric further setting are available and need, like inelt and outlet.
In the Study node you have to step first the automatic curent calculation (using an eigensolver)
and second the time dependent. Yes, you can have them both, make sure the order is correct.

2. You can use "circular", then nothing else is to do, simply start the time dependent solver.
Note that the multicoil must really be strickly circular.

Regards

Jens
Hi, two options. 1. You set the coil type to "numeric" and use the automatic curent calculation. When switched to numeric further setting are available and need, like inelt and outlet. In the Study node you have to step first the automatic curent calculation (using an eigensolver) and second the time dependent. Yes, you can have them both, make sure the order is correct. 2. You can use "circular", then nothing else is to do, simply start the time dependent solver. Note that the multicoil must really be strickly circular. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2014, 19:27 GMT-4
Hy dear Krause, Hopefully you are fine and extremely thanks for your kind reply.

Sorry for being so late, I was working on the possibilities that I could sort out. In accordance to your instructions at Comsol blog, I tried to find coil current but in the plots section I am getting a straight line at zero.
Since I have induced voltage according to Farady's Law, so can't have it when I use Numeric coil and if I dont have induced voltage, that mean I wont be able to get induced current. Also in intlet and outlet I am confused which domains I should select. And if I keep Current Calculation step before Time Dependant study, that mean Comsol is first finding induced current which is not possible in my case because "Movement" of conductor or magnet will cause voltage/current. I am facing problem because I am a beginner.

I have some of the related data and documents etc to share, if you kindly share your personal email. It will be your kind favor for me plz.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your kind response.

Regards,
Catalina
taylor_catalina@yahoo.com
Hy dear Krause, Hopefully you are fine and extremely thanks for your kind reply. Sorry for being so late, I was working on the possibilities that I could sort out. In accordance to your instructions at Comsol blog, I tried to find coil current but in the plots section I am getting a straight line at zero. Since I have induced voltage according to Farady's Law, so can't have it when I use Numeric coil and if I dont have induced voltage, that mean I wont be able to get induced current. Also in intlet and outlet I am confused which domains I should select. And if I keep Current Calculation step before Time Dependant study, that mean Comsol is first finding induced current which is not possible in my case because "Movement" of conductor or magnet will cause voltage/current. I am facing problem because I am a beginner. I have some of the related data and documents etc to share, if you kindly share your personal email. It will be your kind favor for me plz. Thanks in advance and waiting for your kind response. Regards, Catalina taylor_catalina@yahoo.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mag 2014, 02:55 GMT-4
Hi Caltalina,

the coil current computation computes the direction vectors of the current
in multicoil (that is the direction of the individual strands) and not the
current. So it is possible to do it before the time dependent step. Also the
result is in material coodinates so you can move the object around.

If you want reliable help, you can also contact Comsol support, they will give
you a jump start. Personnally I have only limited time.

Regards

Jens
Hi Caltalina, the coil current computation computes the direction vectors of the current in multicoil (that is the direction of the individual strands) and not the current. So it is possible to do it before the time dependent step. Also the result is in material coodinates so you can move the object around. If you want reliable help, you can also contact Comsol support, they will give you a jump start. Personnally I have only limited time. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mag 2014, 11:37 GMT-4
Hy Jens Krause!!!
First of all thanks a lot dear for your kind reply. I really was waiting for it.
Plz spare your few mins and have a view of the attached file. I am following this and got this from a blog. Just my coil is moving and beam is fixed.

But just suggest me in the light of the attached file. I was actually expecting the value in Amperes like Voltage plot in the attached file and so I was getting a straight line at zero.
Its my kind request to include the steps in the attached file for current (in Amps or Current Density) and (if applicable for power as well). Afterwards I will continue on my own and that query is surely going to be the last one because of your precious time.
Best Wishes and waiting for your kind reply.
Catalina.
Hy Jens Krause!!! First of all thanks a lot dear for your kind reply. I really was waiting for it. Plz spare your few mins and have a view of the attached file. I am following this and got this from a blog. Just my coil is moving and beam is fixed. But just suggest me in the light of the attached file. I was actually expecting the value in Amperes like Voltage plot in the attached file and so I was getting a straight line at zero. Its my kind request to include the steps in the attached file for current (in Amps or Current Density) and (if applicable for power as well). Afterwards I will continue on my own and that query is surely going to be the last one because of your precious time. Best Wishes and waiting for your kind reply. Catalina.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.