Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotation of an anisotropic material - RF waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've constructed a partially filled wave guide with an anisotropic material, cube shaped, centered within the waveguide.

Is it possible to set up comsol so as when I rotate the cube within the geometry tab, the matrix defining the respective permitivies will change according to my object's orientation? Or do I need to manually go into "Wave Equation ~ Relative Permitivity ~ Change diagonal matrix values" to represent the rotation of the cube?

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 9 giu 2014, 11:36 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 giu 2014, 11:36 GMT-4
Two possibilities (at least):
1. You can set up a new alternative coordinate system for your cube. I expect that Comsol experts who read this will be happy to help you learn how to do that.
2. Whenever I have properties that I need to specify in terms of the "fixed" coordinates, but also need to re-orient, I normally just rotate *everything else* in the problem in the opposite direction. (This is basically a workaround, to avoid having to define and employ two coordinate systems in one problem.)
Two possibilities (at least): 1. You can set up a new alternative coordinate system for your cube. I expect that Comsol experts who read this will be happy to help you learn how to do that. 2. Whenever I have properties that I need to specify in terms of the "fixed" coordinates, but also need to re-orient, I normally just rotate *everything else* in the problem in the opposite direction. (This is basically a workaround, to avoid having to define and employ two coordinate systems in one problem.)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.