Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculate the effective thermal conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
im very new in Comsol and its my first post here, so if you need more information for saving my problem just let me know.

I want to calculate the effective thermal conductivity of a tank containing insulation materials. The tank should be heated below and I want to determine the temperature at the top and bottom. With this information, I could then calculate the effective thermal conductivity of the complete tanks.

Now i created my geometry and filled the tank first with air.
But my simulation does not work. I think its due to the physics settings. Because im not sure if i did it right. In the most posts here there is written something about the heat flux. But if i dont know how to set it up.

I've attached my Comsol-file

I hope you can help me.

Greetings
Kevin

3 Replies Last Post 18 giu 2014, 03:09 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 giu 2014, 09:27 GMT-4
Hi Kevin,

You have not attached your file.

What do you mean by 'the simulation does not work'? Do you get some error message? Don't you get the expected results?
Hi Kevin, You have not attached your file. What do you mean by 'the simulation does not work'? Do you get some error message? Don't you get the expected results?

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 giu 2014, 10:11 GMT-4
Oh i'm sorry, I was sure i attached it, but know you will get it :)
I hope its ok that it is on German.

The problem is that the simulation is not converged.
Oh i'm sorry, I was sure i attached it, but know you will get it :) I hope its ok that it is on German. The problem is that the simulation is not converged.

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 giu 2014, 03:09 GMT-4
Instead of 'offener rand' I would use a fixed 'temperature' node (probably 'Temperatur' in German?), and instead of 'Einströmender Wärmefluss' I would use a normal 'Heat Flux' node (probably just 'Wärmefluss' in German?), I believe 'Einströmender Wärmefluss' is for the case that the heat is flowing in by means of convection.
Instead of 'offener rand' I would use a fixed 'temperature' node (probably 'Temperatur' in German?), and instead of 'Einströmender Wärmefluss' I would use a normal 'Heat Flux' node (probably just 'Wärmefluss' in German?), I believe 'Einströmender Wärmefluss' is for the case that the heat is flowing in by means of convection.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.