Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling rigid body and soft tissue interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I want to simulate interaction between rigid body and soft tissue for solid mechanics studies. My soft tissue has two layers with different elastic properties and my rigid body is pressed against the soft tissue. I tried modelling the same by creating two layers of solid blocks and added different materials for both the layers and then I made a composite structure of that. Using different geometry I represented my rigid body on the topmost face of the soft tissue block and applied force on the one side of the rigid body while the other side of my rigid body was in contact with the soft tissue represented by block geometry. After simulation, nothing is happening on the soft tissue and all the stress is being shown in the rigid body while I want vice-versa to happen. I am more interested in what happens in soft tissue but there is nothing on the soft tissue part. I am new to COMSOL and not sure how to model such interaction. I urgently need to address this issue. I will be really thankful for your advise. Regards

3 Replies Last Post 22 giu 2014, 22:30 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 giu 2014, 09:48 GMT-4
Hi Abhishek,

If you post the model or some pictures of results maybe someone on the Forum can give specific advice. In general both bodies should have the same surface traction (stress) along the interface. The strains should be generally higher on the soft surface so you should check that.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Abhishek, If you post the model or some pictures of results maybe someone on the Forum can give specific advice. In general both bodies should have the same surface traction (stress) along the interface. The strains should be generally higher on the soft surface so you should check that. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2014, 01:26 GMT-4
Thanks for your advice. I am attaching the snapshot of my model. The cylindrical structure is my rigid body and the blocks beneath represent the soft tissue with three layers. I want to press the rigid body against the soft tissue and want to observe the deformation for the applied pressure. But what is happening is that my rigid body is getting tilted and soft body is intact with no observable deformation or stress. Can anyone please let me know what should I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Thanks for your advice. I am attaching the snapshot of my model. The cylindrical structure is my rigid body and the blocks beneath represent the soft tissue with three layers. I want to press the rigid body against the soft tissue and want to observe the deformation for the applied pressure. But what is happening is that my rigid body is getting tilted and soft body is intact with no observable deformation or stress. Can anyone please let me know what should I do to solve this problem? Thanks in advance. Regards

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 giu 2014, 22:30 GMT-4
The plot you provided seems to show contours (stress I presume) on the rigid body only. The soft tissue blocks do not have a contour plot. That’s different from having low stresses. One possible cause is that the tissue blocks are not included in the analysis. Could also be due to the plot Range settings.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The plot you provided seems to show contours (stress I presume) on the rigid body only. The soft tissue blocks do not have a contour plot. That’s different from having low stresses. One possible cause is that the tissue blocks are not included in the analysis. Could also be due to the plot Range settings. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.