Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plasma reaction rate units?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
in www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/42059/
about cross sections in the plasma module
I got lost in the units of the rate coefficients..

If you are also loading rate coefficients from the COMSOL Boltzmann solver, beware of the units. Last I checked, the MWP interface expects rate coefficients in m^3/(mol*s) while the Boltzmann solver outputs rate coefficients in m^3/s, so be sure to do the conversion.
--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies

In the manual/help/nomenclature I found:
rj Reaction rate, reaction j [mol/(m^3*s)]
kj Rate coefficient, reaction j [m^3/(mol*s)]
Rk Rate expression, species k [kg/(m^3*s)]

then for the source coefficients:
In the case of rate coefficients, the electron source term is given by
Re=Sum(xj*kj*Nn*ne)
where xj is the mole fraction of the target species for reaction j, kj is the rate coefficient
for reaction j (SI unit: [m^3/s]) and Nn is the total neutral number density (SI unit: [1/m^3]).
(ne electron number density [1/m^3] , i believe)

Here the kj has two different units ? [m^3/(mol*s)] or [m^3/s]

How do I connect the [kg] and [mol] into this unit conversion?

Arigatou gosaimasu
Lukas
nagoya-u

1 Reply Last Post 19 set 2014, 15:45 GMT-4
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 19 set 2014, 15:45 GMT-4
Lukas,

To convert from [m^3/s] to [m^3/(mol*s)], simply multiply the first by the Avogadro constant (N_A_const in COMSOL).

If you export the rate coefficients for the electron impact reactions from the Boltzmann solver, you should multiply these values by the Avogadro constant before loading them into the Microwave Plasma interface.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Lukas, To convert from [m^3/s] to [m^3/(mol*s)], simply multiply the first by the Avogadro constant (N_A_const in COMSOL). If you export the rate coefficients for the electron impact reactions from the Boltzmann solver, you should multiply these values by the Avogadro constant before loading them into the Microwave Plasma interface. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.