Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shear stress boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to solve a simple fluid flow problem. It involves marangoni effect. But, I want to make it simple and apply shear stress as the boundary condition, instead of solving coupled thermal and fluid flow problem.

Here is the problem setup in 2D:
A semi circular surface. Straight edge is fixed. Circular curved surface has shear stress applied on it (Marangoni effect). Center of the curved surface has 0 shear stress, it goes to a maximum near the edge where it meets the straight surface. So I am modeling half of the semicircle with a symmetry boundary condition. Please see the figure attached.

With these stresses applied, I should observe a double circular flow as shown in figure. But instead I am getting something else. I have used "boundary stress" and "general stress". Did I do anything wrong? Is there a way to apply u.n=0 on the curved boundary surface and also apply the stress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 28 apr 2015, 13:52 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 19 set 2014, 16:47 GMT-4
Hi there,
The plot that shows what you expect to see does not display symmetry about the vertical axis. Under those circumstances, it should not be surprising that you get a different result in a COMSOL model that presumes symmetry.
I hope this helps.
Jeff
Hi there, The plot that shows what you expect to see does not display symmetry about the vertical axis. Under those circumstances, it should not be surprising that you get a different result in a COMSOL model that presumes symmetry. I hope this helps. Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 19 set 2014, 17:18 GMT-4
Thanks Jeff. The attached plot is from the actual system, that's why it is little off from symmetry. But, I was the COMSOL solution should show symmetry. But what I am wondering is, why it is completely off, and not showing any circular flow at all.

Any suggestions as to how to implement u.n=0 on the curved boundary surface will be very helpful.

Thanks
Thanks Jeff. The attached plot is from the actual system, that's why it is little off from symmetry. But, I was the COMSOL solution should show symmetry. But what I am wondering is, why it is completely off, and not showing any circular flow at all. Any suggestions as to how to implement u.n=0 on the curved boundary surface will be very helpful. Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 19 set 2014, 17:34 GMT-4
Please post your .mph file if you would like other Discussion Forum users to be able to provide feedback. Otherwise we can only make guesses.
Jeff
Please post your .mph file if you would like other Discussion Forum users to be able to provide feedback. Otherwise we can only make guesses. Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 22 set 2014, 11:58 GMT-4
Here is the .mph file.
Here is the .mph file.

Posted: 9 years ago 28 apr 2015, 13:52 GMT-4
I am also facing the same problem. I want to use the boundary condition : const 1 (del u/del s)= const2 (del T/del s) at the interface. Here, u and T are velocity and temperature. s is the tangential direction. Can you please give some idea to use this boundary condition in comsol?
I am also facing the same problem. I want to use the boundary condition : const 1 (del u/del s)= const2 (del T/del s) at the interface. Here, u and T are velocity and temperature. s is the tangential direction. Can you please give some idea to use this boundary condition in comsol?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.