Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time steps in time dependent study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi!
im simulating fluid flow in a pipe with transport of diluted species.

when i run a time dependent study i noticed that comsol does not keep the time steps constant and skips over large periods of time without providing any data.

it starts with small steps but very soon they turn into very large steps.

how can i keep the time steps constant for the entire run ?

thanks a-lot!

tal.

1 Reply Last Post 21 set 2014, 08:46 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 21 set 2014, 08:46 GMT-4
Hi,

I don't really get what u meant by "skips over large periods of time without providing any data". If u key in for example "range(0,0.1,1)" in "time dependent step", COMSOL should give you the results of every 0.1s step, even though it might start with small steps but very soon they turn into very large steps as u said.

To set so as COMSOL keeps constant step while computing, you can try to change its time stepping. You 1st right click at your study and click on "show default solver". Then u go to "time dependent solver" and u will see time stepping, log, results while solving tabs and etc. Expand the "time stepping" tab and u will see a drop down list with BDF as default. Below the drop down list you will see initial stepping and maximum stepping. Change it as your wish should be fine then.

Good luck
CN
Hi, I don't really get what u meant by "skips over large periods of time without providing any data". If u key in for example "range(0,0.1,1)" in "time dependent step", COMSOL should give you the results of every 0.1s step, even though it might start with small steps but very soon they turn into very large steps as u said. To set so as COMSOL keeps constant step while computing, you can try to change its time stepping. You 1st right click at your study and click on "show default solver". Then u go to "time dependent solver" and u will see time stepping, log, results while solving tabs and etc. Expand the "time stepping" tab and u will see a drop down list with BDF as default. Below the drop down list you will see initial stepping and maximum stepping. Change it as your wish should be fine then. Good luck CN

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.