Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Rotating electrical machine, calculating torque

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all

I'm studying a machine with permanent magnets in the stator and a solid iron rotor(no coils).
i already have the magnetic field, is there a way to extract the torque felt by the rotor?

Best regards
José Silva

5 Replies Last Post 11 ott 2014, 10:26 GMT-4

Posted: 10 years ago 9 ott 2014, 13:22 GMT-4
I am not sure how you can have a rotating machine with permanent magnets at the stator and no winding at the rotor... Or maybe I misunderstood your description of the system.

COMSOL allows you calculate the forces and torque on components when you set up the problem. Add a "force calculation" in the physics (Magnetic Fields) tree and select the components on which you need the forces/torque calculated. The results are available as global variables and displayed during post-processing (Derived Values).

For forces on iron, the method used should be based on virtual work. If you want to implement the torque calculation yourself, you can integrate a function based on Maxwell's tensor over a section of the air gap. You should be able to find plenty of papers describing how to do it.

Hope it helps.
Best,
Philippe
I am not sure how you can have a rotating machine with permanent magnets at the stator and no winding at the rotor... Or maybe I misunderstood your description of the system. COMSOL allows you calculate the forces and torque on components when you set up the problem. Add a "force calculation" in the physics (Magnetic Fields) tree and select the components on which you need the forces/torque calculated. The results are available as global variables and displayed during post-processing (Derived Values). For forces on iron, the method used should be based on virtual work. If you want to implement the torque calculation yourself, you can integrate a function based on Maxwell's tensor over a section of the air gap. You should be able to find plenty of papers describing how to do it. Hope it helps. Best, Philippe

Posted: 10 years ago 9 ott 2014, 14:37 GMT-4
It has a coil, but for now, i haven't connected it to anything yet so no current.
for now i just need to know, having the speed rotation and the magnetic flux the torque the rotor is under.

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.
It has a coil, but for now, i haven't connected it to anything yet so no current. for now i just need to know, having the speed rotation and the magnetic flux the torque the rotor is under. Thanks for the tip I'll give it a try.

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 10 ott 2014, 20:40 GMT-4
The following Magnetic Gear example shows how to do the torque calculation on two rotors/stator. Hope this will be useful.
www.comsol.com/model/magnetic-gear-in-2d-14583

Nirmal Paudel
--------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
The following Magnetic Gear example shows how to do the torque calculation on two rotors/stator. Hope this will be useful. http://www.comsol.com/model/magnetic-gear-in-2d-14583 Nirmal Paudel -------------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Posted: 10 years ago 11 ott 2014, 02:46 GMT-4
Hi,

I am getting the following error:
Log of negative
Function: log
Failed to evaluate variable
Variable: mod1.St, Defined as: ((mod1.p>=mod1.pea)*((cs-mod1.c)*(log((mod1.p/mod1.pea))*(exp(((-Ea)/(Rg*mod1.T)))*ka))))
Failed to evaluate expression
Expression: d((2*mod1.St*test(mod1.c)*pi*r)*(dvol),{test0})

Do you know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for the comments
Hi, I am getting the following error: Log of negative Function: log Failed to evaluate variable Variable: mod1.St, Defined as: ((mod1.p>=mod1.pea)*((cs-mod1.c)*(log((mod1.p/mod1.pea))*(exp(((-Ea)/(Rg*mod1.T)))*ka)))) Failed to evaluate expression Expression: d((2*mod1.St*test(mod1.c)*pi*r)*(dvol),{test0}) Do you know how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance for the comments

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 11 ott 2014, 10:26 GMT-4
We encourage you to post your questions on the related thread. Or create the new thread if needed.

Nirmal Paudel
--------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
We encourage you to post your questions on the related thread. Or create the new thread if needed. Nirmal Paudel -------------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.