Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define Input Electromagnetic field with pre-defined phase?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I'm trying to simulate an interference-like phenomenon in COMSOL where I need to define an input wave (electric field or power) with pre-defined phase. So, I want to show that changing the input phase results in different interference results. However, I have noticed that using ports as input excitation has no effect (the input phase does not change).
Is there any way to define an input with an specific phase?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 14 ott 2014, 01:45 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 13 ott 2014, 14:55 GMT-4

You can set the phase in a port, but it only has a meaning with a reference, e.g. a second port.

So, what is your phase reference?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You can set the phase in a port, but it only has a meaning with a reference, e.g. a second port. So, what is your phase reference? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 13 ott 2014, 14:59 GMT-4
The following example demonstrate the way to excite different ports with predefined phase differences.
Hope this will be useful.
www.comsol.com/model/beam-steering-monopole-antenna-array-15737

Nirmal Paudel
--------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
The following example demonstrate the way to excite different ports with predefined phase differences. Hope this will be useful. http://www.comsol.com/model/beam-steering-monopole-antenna-array-15737 Nirmal Paudel -------------------------- COMSOL Employee USA

Posted: 10 years ago 14 ott 2014, 01:42 GMT-4
Dear Edgar,

Thanks alot, I hadn't paid attention to this fact. I just wanted to change the field maximum point in my device using the initial phase.

Thanks again
Dear Edgar, Thanks alot, I hadn't paid attention to this fact. I just wanted to change the field maximum point in my device using the initial phase. Thanks again

Posted: 10 years ago 14 ott 2014, 01:45 GMT-4
Dear Mr. Paudel,

This example helps me alot.
Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Hamed
Dear Mr. Paudel, This example helps me alot. Thanks in advance for your kind help. Hamed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.