Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electroosmotic micromixer

Bhavyabhushan Yadav A.V

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

in contrast to what is explained in the tutorial model (www.comsol.com/model/electroosmotic-micromixer-485) of an Electroosmotic micromixer, the electrodes on the mixer wall are not at all alternating with time, they are fixed DC voltages with alternating polarity, i.e two opposite electrodes are at same potential during the entire time of the simulation.

And if we observe the tutorial, while setting up "Wall 1" we specify E vectors whose x and y components are sinusoidal. (the step where we define boundary cond as electroosmotic velocity)

Can someone explain me how this model really works, its completely different from what i perceived. After going through the tutorial i thought that, we are applying AC potential to four electrodes and this will result in chaotic mixing of incoming fluids, but i just figured out its wrong and this is not how the model is setup. The model works fine but i need someone to help me interpret it the right way.

1 Reply Last Post 23 ott 2014, 14:05 GMT-4
Bhavyabhushan Yadav A.V

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 23 ott 2014, 14:05 GMT-4
If we observe the model description, it states that the electrodes apply AC voltages (refer attached pic).

But, in the model there are two electrodes fixed at +V0 and remaining electrodes fixed at -V0 volt, they never alternate.

Also modeling an electrode as AC voltage source is not straight forward, we may need to include cir module to define these electrodes as AC voltage sources.
If we observe the model description, it states that the electrodes apply AC voltages (refer attached pic). But, in the model there are two electrodes fixed at +V0 and remaining electrodes fixed at -V0 volt, they never alternate. Also modeling an electrode as AC voltage source is not straight forward, we may need to include cir module to define these electrodes as AC voltage sources.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.