Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling lens in COMSOL 5.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Everyone,

I am using the Ray Optics Module, the new feature of COMSOL 5.0 in my simulations. I am modeling an aspheric lens. The setup is very simple: I have a lens from Thorlabs and I know all geometric data of the lens and the index of refraction of the material. I created the lens profile according to the aspheric lens equation coefficients provided by Thorlabs. Still, I have problems with the results. The lens should have a diffraction limited focal point size but I get a very blurred focal point instead. Light rays arriving farther from the optical axis meet closer behind the lens than rays arriving closer to the axis and this causes a 'radius-dependent' focal length.

My question is that how is this possible? I think I set all parameters correctly and the lens should work properly but it does not. What is the problem? Did I overlook something in COMSOL simulation settings? Or maybe the calculations are not precise enough?

Thank you,
Daniel

1 Reply Last Post 14 nov 2014, 17:39 GMT-5
Christopher Boucher COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 14 nov 2014, 17:39 GMT-5
Hi Daniel,

Could you please attach a copy of the model that's giving you unexpected results?

Best Regards,
Chris Boucher
Hi Daniel, Could you please attach a copy of the model that's giving you unexpected results? Best Regards, Chris Boucher

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.