Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to mesh touched thin busbars for magnetic field calculation with AC/DC module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm calculating the magnetic field distribution of a system, which mainly consists of bus bars as shown in the attachment. (The model is imported into COMSOL via the LiveLink interface.) Since the bus bars are relatively thin, we want to use a swept mesh in order to reduce the degrees of freedom. However, the swept mesh doesn't work well because some parts of bus bars touch. Then, how can I generate an efficient mesh? Note that, there are some holes on the bus bars, and the busbars are surrounded by an air box. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tony

3 Replies Last Post 18 nov 2014, 14:16 GMT-5

Posted: 10 years ago 18 nov 2014, 11:22 GMT-5
Hi,

im interested in your model, my main interest is, how do you apply a current at this geometric configuration, cause the metal pieces overlap an different locations?

Greetings
Hi, im interested in your model, my main interest is, how do you apply a current at this geometric configuration, cause the metal pieces overlap an different locations? Greetings

Posted: 10 years ago 18 nov 2014, 12:09 GMT-5
Hi,
Since the bus bars overlap, they are connected inherently. I just let a boundary (right wall of the top metal bus) to be a terminal with certain current and certain boundary to be ground (or float potential).
Hi, Since the bus bars overlap, they are connected inherently. I just let a boundary (right wall of the top metal bus) to be a terminal with certain current and certain boundary to be ground (or float potential).

Posted: 10 years ago 18 nov 2014, 14:16 GMT-5
Hi Tony,

You can upload the model and i will try to mesh.
When i mesh this kind of busbars, i usually remove the fillets where the busbars overlap (see the picture). This improves the mesh significantly (at these regions).

Regards
--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi Tony, You can upload the model and i will try to mesh. When i mesh this kind of busbars, i usually remove the fillets where the busbars overlap (see the picture). This improves the mesh significantly (at these regions). Regards -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.