Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems in assigning inlet-outlet boundary condition for a two phase flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a laminar two phase flow passing over a cylinder with a phase-field model where the cylinder is submerged into the water (heavier fluid), as a part of my project. I have tried a couple of candidates for the boundary condition at the inlet and the outlet. Initially, I gave a uniform velocity at the inlet for both phases plus a zero pressure at the outlet, then I assigned a mass flow rate for both phases and mass flow rate at the exit and a few other failed attempts. Also I have tried to give a step function at the inlet for the volume fraction at the level of my free surface and give a uniform velocity which I could not even implement.

Receiving a piece of advice, I have recently tried to give a zero pressure gradient at both sides and a body force or a small acceleration in the x-direction (as my driving force), but it seems that after sometime (4% of run-time in my case) the "reciprocal of the step size" increases and causes a failure.

I would be glad if there is a solution for the problem. I also attached the basic model here.

Amin,

1 Reply Last Post 17 set 2016, 20:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amin Rahmat

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 17 set 2016, 20:32 GMT-4
Hi
In laminar flow and in outlet boundary condition if we choose laminar outflow then there will be three options in which one of them is exit pressure ,i f select exit pressure we need to mention two options one is exit pressure and exit length .

My question is
1- what is exit length and how to calculate it ?
2-At what case we should use laminar flow ? if you have any material regarding this please share

Thank you in advance
Regards
Hi In laminar flow and in outlet boundary condition if we choose laminar outflow then there will be three options in which one of them is exit pressure ,i f select exit pressure we need to mention two options one is exit pressure and exit length . My question is 1- what is exit length and how to calculate it ? 2-At what case we should use laminar flow ? if you have any material regarding this please share Thank you in advance Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.