Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Link two models PDE and Thermal Stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I am new in COMSOL, using the version 4.4.
I am using two model. One is "coefficient of PDE(c)" and other is "thermal stress model". Both are time dependent. The variables I am getting from PDE are two temperatures.
I know, if I use thermal stress model I have to use a heat source. But want I don't want that, instead I want one of the temperature that i am getting form PDE model will reflect on Stress model. And the temperature from PDE model is the reason for the thermal stress.
I will be really grateful to you if you give me a solution for that..

Thanks a lot
Pinaki

2 Replies Last Post 5 dic 2014, 11:54 GMT-5
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 4 dic 2014, 15:02 GMT-5
Pinaki,

The Thermal Stress interface is a multiphysics interface solving for both temperature and displacement. If you want to use a PDE interface to solve for temperature, then you should use the Solid Mechanics interface instead of the Thermal Stress interface. In the Solid Mechanics interface, you can add thermal expansion by right-clicking on the material model node (e.g. Linear Elastic Material) and selecting "Thermal Expansion" from the menu. On the new Thermal Expansion sub-node, you can enter your temperature variable in the Model Inputs section.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Pinaki, The Thermal Stress interface is a multiphysics interface solving for both temperature and displacement. If you want to use a PDE interface to solve for temperature, then you should use the Solid Mechanics interface instead of the Thermal Stress interface. In the Solid Mechanics interface, you can add thermal expansion by right-clicking on the material model node (e.g. Linear Elastic Material) and selecting "Thermal Expansion" from the menu. On the new Thermal Expansion sub-node, you can enter your temperature variable in the Model Inputs section. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 10 years ago 5 dic 2014, 11:54 GMT-5
Thanks a lot for the help Luke..

My model is working perfect.. :)
Thanks a lot for the help Luke.. My model is working perfect.. :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.