Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geometry optic (GO)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi
how can i find Ray intensity in GO(geometrical optic module) for example along a line ?
thanks

4 Replies Last Post 25 gen 2015, 11:36 GMT-5
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 13 gen 2015, 16:20 GMT-5
Hi, you need to set the "Intensity computation" property to "Using principal curvatures". The intensity will then be computed. You can see the intensity along the rays by plotting gop.I, (or gop.logI which is the log of the intensity). To plot the intensity of individual rays along their trajectory, you can use the "Ray" 1D Plot Type.
Hi, you need to set the "Intensity computation" property to "Using principal curvatures". The intensity will then be computed. You can see the intensity along the rays by plotting gop.I, (or gop.logI which is the log of the intensity). To plot the intensity of individual rays along their trajectory, you can use the "Ray" 1D Plot Type.

Posted: 9 years ago 14 gen 2015, 08:50 GMT-5
Dear Daniel ,
thanks for your response .
I actually set the "Intensity computation" property ,that can compute ray intensity and polarization .
The exact question is that ,how can i compute the sum of ray intensity reached a specific line .geometry image is attached . The green arrow indicates the line(The sum intensity should be computed in line)
Kind Regards,
Dear Daniel , thanks for your response . I actually set the "Intensity computation" property ,that can compute ray intensity and polarization . The exact question is that ,how can i compute the sum of ray intensity reached a specific line .geometry image is attached . The green arrow indicates the line(The sum intensity should be computed in line) Kind Regards,

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 15 gen 2015, 08:37 GMT-5
Hi, the intensity only exists on the rays themselves, not on boundaries or domains. May I ask what you are trying to compute? If you are interested in the power transfer from rays to a surface, you can use the "Deposited Ray Power" boundary feature. AN example of how to use this can be found i the model Model Libraries>Ray Optics Module>Industrial Models>solar_dish_receiver.
Hi, the intensity only exists on the rays themselves, not on boundaries or domains. May I ask what you are trying to compute? If you are interested in the power transfer from rays to a surface, you can use the "Deposited Ray Power" boundary feature. AN example of how to use this can be found i the model Model Libraries>Ray Optics Module>Industrial Models>solar_dish_receiver.

Posted: 9 years ago 25 gen 2015, 11:36 GMT-5
Dear daniel ,
Please accept my apology for the slow response, I should have responded sooner.
I actually want to calculate far-field radiation pattern of an antenna that is extremely large .
as dimension of antenna is much more than lambda , simulation cant be run in RF module. I have to use geometrical optic .
i am interested in power(intensity)distribution on an equivalent aperture as showed in attached image .
is it possible to change equation of geometrical optic module such that ignore refraction of rays on Material Discontinuity?
as showed in attached image, rays don't refracts as arrive new environment
Dear daniel , Please accept my apology for the slow response, I should have responded sooner. I actually want to calculate far-field radiation pattern of an antenna that is extremely large . as dimension of antenna is much more than lambda , simulation cant be run in RF module. I have to use geometrical optic . i am interested in power(intensity)distribution on an equivalent aperture as showed in attached image . is it possible to change equation of geometrical optic module such that ignore refraction of rays on Material Discontinuity? as showed in attached image, rays don't refracts as arrive new environment

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.