Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculate the length of a flow streamline

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how to calculate the length of a streamline that I plot in the post processing? I could export the excel file of the streamline and do the maths in excel, but is there any simple method to do that in comsol?

Thanks.

Tianhang

5 Replies Last Post 17 ago 2016, 15:56 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tianhang Bai

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 12 ago 2016, 12:59 GMT-4

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how to calculate the length of a streamline that I plot in the post processing? I could export the excel file of the streamline and do the maths in excel, but is there any simple method to do that in comsol?

Thanks.

Tianhang

Hi, have you found the simple way to do the calculation? Would you please give me some infromation?
Thank you in advance.
BestRegards,
Bill
[QUOTE] Hi everyone, Does anybody know how to calculate the length of a streamline that I plot in the post processing? I could export the excel file of the streamline and do the maths in excel, but is there any simple method to do that in comsol? Thanks. Tianhang [/QUOTE] Hi, have you found the simple way to do the calculation? Would you please give me some infromation? Thank you in advance. BestRegards, Bill

Posted: 8 years ago 12 ago 2016, 13:57 GMT-4
You can indirectly do measurement on a interpolation curve drawn using streamline coordinates obtained from exported data of the streamline plot.
You can indirectly do measurement on a interpolation curve drawn using streamline coordinates obtained from exported data of the streamline plot.

Posted: 8 years ago 16 ago 2016, 03:43 GMT-4
Hi Dr. Birla,
Thank you for the reply.
I have found the way to calculate the arch length of the streamline.
One problem is that, I have hundreds of cases that need to be handled with. I wonder if there is some simple way to do this. As it costs a lot of time to export the streamline plot data.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Best Regards,
Bill
Hi Dr. Birla, Thank you for the reply. I have found the way to calculate the arch length of the streamline. One problem is that, I have hundreds of cases that need to be handled with. I wonder if there is some simple way to do this. As it costs a lot of time to export the streamline plot data. Thank you for any suggestions. Best Regards, Bill

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 16 ago 2016, 05:06 GMT-4
One problem is that, I have hundreds of cases that need to be handled with. I wonder if there is some simple way to do this. As it costs a lot of time to export the streamline plot data.

The export feature can measure the length for you:
1. Create a Plot export feature that points to your streamline plot.
2. Check the "Only export start and end points" check box.
3. Browse to some output file.
4. Export.
5. Open the output file: There's one row for each streamline. It contains the start point, the end point, and the length of the streamline.

[QUOTE]One problem is that, I have hundreds of cases that need to be handled with. I wonder if there is some simple way to do this. As it costs a lot of time to export the streamline plot data.[/QUOTE] The export feature can measure the length for you: 1. Create a Plot export feature that points to your streamline plot. 2. Check the "Only export start and end points" check box. 3. Browse to some output file. 4. Export. 5. Open the output file: There's one row for each streamline. It contains the start point, the end point, and the length of the streamline.

Posted: 8 years ago 17 ago 2016, 15:56 GMT-4
Dear Dr. Andersson,
Thank you for the reply.
I did exactly as what you have suggested. It works.
Thank you very much.
Dear Dr. Andersson, Thank you for the reply. I did exactly as what you have suggested. It works. Thank you very much.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.