Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use a steady fluid velocity field solution as IC in an transient Multiphysics simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I again have a simple question I think, but I cannot figure out the solution or maybe I just think it is more complicated, than it actually is.

I have the model problem described in the other discussion. So a cylinder in a tube at a fixed position and I have a steady-state velocity field of the fluid flowing in the tube. Subsequently I want to perform a transient study with fluid flow, transport of diluted species and moving mesh physics.

What I like to do now is, just using the steady-state flow field in the transient simulation as the initial condition for my flow field, but it doesnt work, because I can either choose to use a solution from a different solver as initial condition or use the initial conditions given in the study. I cannot set the initial conditions for the different variables independently, can I?

Is there any solution to my problem or is there now problem?

1 Reply Last Post 10 feb 2015, 01:51 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 10 feb 2015, 01:51 GMT-5
Hi

You already solved the problem by yourself. Solve first the flow field at steady-state, and then add a new time-dependent study where you use the flow field of the previous study as an initial value. Whether it accelerates the latter solver, I cannot say.

br
Lasse
Hi You already solved the problem by yourself. Solve first the flow field at steady-state, and then add a new time-dependent study where you use the flow field of the previous study as an initial value. Whether it accelerates the latter solver, I cannot say. br Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.