Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Empty probes when choosing not to store solutions in output

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a working piezoelectric material model in which I use a frequency domain study to sweep the frequency; I then measure the electromechanical transduction as a function of frequency. I have defined a boundary probe that measures the current flowing through the device. The probe populates just fine when I store all the solutions in the output, but when I uncheck the "Store in output" box, the probe just returns zero for all frequencies. To be specific, I'm unchecking the "Store in output" box in the node: Study -> Solver Configurations -> Solver 1 >- Dependent Variables,

My goal is to run a large frequency sweep without having to retain the fields from each frequency step. How do I keep the accumulated probe information from every frequency step without storing all the solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matt

1 Reply Last Post 25 ago 2016, 12:13 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matt Eichenfield

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 25 ago 2016, 12:13 GMT-4
1) Study -> Parametric Sweep -> Output While Solving -> Turn on "Accumulated probe table."
2) Study -> Parametric Sweep -> Output While Solving -> Select "Only last" for Keep solutions in memory.
3) Study -> Solver Configurations -> Solver 1 -> Dependent Variables -> Turn on "Store in output" for any fields that the probes depend on.

You will still retain the fields from the last frequency in your sweep, but you will throw away the fields from all the other frequencies in the sweep, so your memory usage and file size should be manageable.

The probe data will be in the table specified in the "output table" for the accumulated probe table.

Hope that helps!
-Chris
1) Study -> Parametric Sweep -> Output While Solving -> Turn on "Accumulated probe table." 2) Study -> Parametric Sweep -> Output While Solving -> Select "Only last" for Keep solutions in memory. 3) Study -> Solver Configurations -> Solver 1 -> Dependent Variables -> Turn on "Store in output" for any fields that the probes depend on. You will still retain the fields from the last frequency in your sweep, but you will throw away the fields from all the other frequencies in the sweep, so your memory usage and file size should be manageable. The probe data will be in the table specified in the "output table" for the accumulated probe table. Hope that helps! -Chris

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.