Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flexible polymer layer for protection of a pressure sensor

Rogelio Hernandez Aguirre

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi team,

I am working in the simulation of the effect of the packaging on the performance of a piezoresistive pressure sensor, basically I am adding a polymer protection layer to the upper surface of a piezoresistive pressure sensor and I am comparing the output of my sensor with and without the polymer layer. My model is working for the pressure sensor without parylene layer, and works as expected. However, for the addition of the polymer layer I have some questions which I hope you can help me.

1.- I am just adding to the upper surface of the pressure sensor the polymer layer (Parylene) which main properties are cited below, and then analyse the output with and without polymer layer. Does this is the right approach to model the effect of the polymer layer on the sensor? Anyone has experience in simulations of "sandwich style" deflective geometries?.

2.- The polymer layer is being modeled as linear elastic material as part of the piezoresistive MEMS module. Does this is correct? Or I would need to use a different approach to model the polymer layer?

3.- The thickness of the MEMS diaphragm is 38 um and is made of Silicon. The thickness of the Polymer layer is 4 um and is Parylene.

Properties of the Polymer
Young modulus : 2.76e9 Pa
Poisson ratio : 0.4

I hope you can help me.

Rogelio

0 Replies Last Post 9 mar 2015, 16:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rogelio Hernandez Aguirre

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.