Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

convert VTK to vrml, stl

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to convert vtk to VRML or stl, to import geometry in COMSOL.

3 Replies Last Post 26 mag 2015, 16:44 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 11 mar 2015, 08:14 GMT-4
I too would like to see VTK File import and Export supported
I too would like to see VTK File import and Export supported

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 11 mar 2015, 09:13 GMT-4
Dear Fares,

A cursory web search does show that VTK does have the ability to write STL files, which can be imported into COMSOL. There also appears to be the ability in VTK to write out a volumetric finite element mesh directly from VTK, which can often be preferable.

Best,
Dear Fares, A cursory web search does show that VTK does have the ability to write STL files, which can be imported into COMSOL. There also appears to be the ability in VTK to write out a volumetric finite element mesh directly from VTK, which can often be preferable. Best,

Posted: 9 years ago 26 mag 2015, 16:44 GMT-4

I want to convert vtk to VRML or stl, to import geometry in COMSOL.

From where are you creating the VTK files, is it image data? then perhaps you can consider software like ScanIP from Simpleware, where the FE/CFD or STL file can be created directly and imported in Comsol.
[QUOTE] I want to convert vtk to VRML or stl, to import geometry in COMSOL. [/QUOTE] From where are you creating the VTK files, is it image data? then perhaps you can consider software like ScanIP from Simpleware, where the FE/CFD or STL file can be created directly and imported in Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.