Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric circuit Node naming

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I do not understand the concept of node naming in Electric circuit. I know that we need External I vs U and External U vs I to connect the external circuit but the node naming is very confusing.

If someone can explain me the concept of node and node naming in electric circuit and electric current interface, I will really appreciate the help in this regards.

Thanks a lot!

Take care and best regards
Zaid

2 Replies Last Post 23 mag 2015, 09:13 GMT-4
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 13 mar 2015, 14:20 GMT-4
Syed,

The "node names" simply specify how the different circuit components connect together. For example, a simple RC circuit connected to a plasma could look like the following:

Ground: 0
Voltage Source: p: 1; n: 0
Resistor: p: 1; n: 2
Capacitor: p: 2; n: 0
External U Vs. I: p:2; n:0

Node 0 is ground, node 1 is the junction between the voltage source and resistor, and node 2 is the junction between the resistor, the shunting capacitor, and the biased electrode in the plasma. The user-specified current for the "External U Vs. I" would be the plasma current at the electrode (calculated by integrating the electron current, ion current, and displacement current), and the voltage specified at the electrode would be set to the voltage at node 2 in the circuit (e.g. cir.UvsI1_v).

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Syed, The "node names" simply specify how the different circuit components connect together. For example, a simple RC circuit connected to a plasma could look like the following: Ground: 0 Voltage Source: p: 1; n: 0 Resistor: p: 1; n: 2 Capacitor: p: 2; n: 0 External U Vs. I: p:2; n:0 Node 0 is ground, node 1 is the junction between the voltage source and resistor, and node 2 is the junction between the resistor, the shunting capacitor, and the biased electrode in the plasma. The user-specified current for the "External U Vs. I" would be the plasma current at the electrode (calculated by integrating the electron current, ion current, and displacement current), and the voltage specified at the electrode would be set to the voltage at node 2 in the circuit (e.g. cir.UvsI1_v). -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 9 years ago 23 mag 2015, 09:13 GMT-4
Dear Luke ;

I am trying to model a simple electric circuit using .CIR interface. My circuit contains a capacitor (2.5mF) with an initial voltage (1400V) linked in series with a resistance, inductance (10mOhm, 2uH respectively ) and External I Vs. U to feed a single turn coil in mf .
everything goes great until i add a diode in series to the circuit ! it gives " Failed to find consistent initial values " .
i tried to flip the capacitor order (0,1) it works but it gives a wrong results !
any explanation ?

Best Regards ;
Dear Luke ; I am trying to model a simple electric circuit using .CIR interface. My circuit contains a capacitor (2.5mF) with an initial voltage (1400V) linked in series with a resistance, inductance (10mOhm, 2uH respectively ) and External I Vs. U to feed a single turn coil in mf . everything goes great until i add a diode in series to the circuit ! it gives " Failed to find consistent initial values " . i tried to flip the capacitor order (0,1) it works but it gives a wrong results ! any explanation ? Best Regards ;

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.