Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field and particle tracing trajectories

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, i am trying to simulate the electric field of a Micromegas detector and observe the resulting trajectories of randomly situated charged particles, like electrons. This device is like a two parallel plate capacitor. More precisely it consists of three parallel electrodes, its one of them be setting to a potential value. This is what i have done until now: setting the two electrodes in a specified potential value and the third in the ground using the 3D electrostatic model. The field representation was as it was supposed to be.
The next thing to have been done is the particle tracing simulation. Having computed the electric field from the electrostatic model, i tried to compute the resulting electrons trajectories released from specified coordinates, using the particle tracing model. And here is my big issue. The resulting trajectories seem not to follow the electric field lines as it was supposed to. The forces that act on particles are the electric force computed already from the electrostatic model and the electric collision force from a background gas (Argon-Monte Carlo collision model). The characteristics for this elastic collision force is the collision cross section (4.5e-20m^2 from bibliography), the background number density (269*10^23 1/m^3 manually computed) and the background gas molar mass (39.95e-3 kg/mol from bibliography). I am writing down these values in case i have supposed something wrong...i have tried different solvers and i didn't manage to solve my issue.....so any proposal would be helpful!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

0 Replies Last Post 16 apr 2015, 21:46 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ilias Kouris

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.