Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Countercurrent Flow Velocity Profile

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am modeling absorption of a gas stream into a countercurrent liquid stream for a falling film absorption problem. I believe my first step should be to obtain the velocity profile for this countercurrent flow. I am using two laminar flow physics, one each for gas and liquid, with average velocities on the order of 10^(-3). The interface of the liquid and the wall has the no slip condition.

However, I am having trouble specifying the liquid/gas interface to result in a reasonable velocity profile. I am specifying inlet as average velocity or inlet as laminar flow and outlet as pressure. I am using atmospheric pressure for both the gas and liquid outlets. I am specifying the interface as an open boundary. I would expect to see the liquid flowing downward and the gas flowing upward, but I am not getting this.

I will also be using transport of diluted species for the absorption and am wondering if it would be better to specify my velocity within this physics instead of trying to obtain a velocity profile separately.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can proceed?

I am using Comsol 4.3.

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 27 apr 2015, 12:50 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Comsol Newbie

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.