Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using previous results in new study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

In my model, I have created two studies to be completed, each performing a different load on the object. I want to use the results of the load for the first study as the initial values for applying a load during the second study. How would I do this? I've tried to change the dependent variables in the second study and it has not worked, but maybe I am just doing something incorrect. Could someone please help.

Thank you,

Cory

4 Replies Last Post 1 mag 2015, 13:42 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 28 apr 2015, 03:24 GMT-4
Have you tried this (attachment)?
Have you tried this (attachment)?

Posted: 9 years ago 28 apr 2015, 11:59 GMT-4
I have tried that and for some reason it will not work. That is what I thought I had to do
I have tried that and for some reason it will not work. That is what I thought I had to do

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 28 apr 2015, 14:00 GMT-4
Cory-

Lasse's suggestion should work.

A tip that might help: You can confirm the values that are being used as Initial values by right-clicking on the Study node and selecting "Get Initial Value" or "Get Initial Value For Step". Then, you will have access to a Dataset for post-processing. In this way, you can confirm the field that is being used as Initial values.

Another thought: If you are incrementally seeking to increase the load, try an Auxiliary sweep set-up with a continuation solver active (this is the default). In this way, you can examine loading scenarios that automatically use the previous solution as the initial values for the next loading solution attempt.

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Cory- Lasse's suggestion should work. A tip that might help: You can confirm the values that are being used as Initial values by right-clicking on the Study node and selecting "Get Initial Value" or "Get Initial Value For Step". Then, you will have access to a Dataset for post-processing. In this way, you can confirm the field that is being used as Initial values. Another thought: If you are incrementally seeking to increase the load, try an Auxiliary sweep set-up with a continuation solver active (this is the default). In this way, you can examine loading scenarios that automatically use the previous solution as the initial values for the next loading solution attempt. -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 9 years ago 1 mag 2015, 13:42 GMT-4
Hello,

When I check the initial values, it shows me the object I started with and not the results of the first study, which it should be using. Maybe I am just not understanding correctly. Also, could you go more into detail about the auxiliary sweep, I do not understand how to use it. Comsol is still a new program for me.

Thank you,

Cory
Hello, When I check the initial values, it shows me the object I started with and not the results of the first study, which it should be using. Maybe I am just not understanding correctly. Also, could you go more into detail about the auxiliary sweep, I do not understand how to use it. Comsol is still a new program for me. Thank you, Cory

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.