Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid-Solid Coupling using Piezoelectric Devices and Solid Mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model a piezoelectric transducer coupled to a linear elastic solid. I know it is pretty straight forward to do this just by using the Piezoelectric Devices physics module, however that module does not have the low reflecting boundary condition which I want to utilize. Therefore I would like the model the transducer with the Piezoelectric Devices module and the loading solid with the Solid Mechanics module. My question is that how do I couple these physics?

For fluid-solid interaction, adding a boundary load to the solid domain at the interface with value of pressure in fluid and normal acceleration in the fluid domain with the value of the acceleration of the solid does the trick. For solid-solid interaction my instinct says I should define a prescribed displacement in each solid domain, using the displacements of each domain, but I'm not sure.

Best,
Sarp

0 Replies Last Post 1 mag 2015, 14:21 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sarp Satir

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.