Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact pair between two objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i have built a model and i want to simulate that two objects stand near with a very small distance (10 μm ) in vertical direction, and one object keeps fixed, then the other object vibrates in vertical direction and the two objects should collide each other.
I have set the two objects in a contact pair. And i think, the two objects during the vibration should collide and contact.
But in the simulation the two objects can not collide. the object vibrates through the other one.
How should I do?
Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 21 lug 2015, 08:59 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 13 mag 2015, 10:11 GMT-4
Can someone just easy tell me, how can i use the contact pair, how should i adjust?
And if the contact pair can just be used in 2D model, can I ues it also in 3D model?
Thaaaaaaanks
Can someone just easy tell me, how can i use the contact pair, how should i adjust? And if the contact pair can just be used in 2D model, can I ues it also in 3D model? Thaaaaaaanks

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 15 mag 2015, 02:20 GMT-4
Hi,

When you say "vibrates", does that mean a frequency domain analysis?

If so, contact cannot be used. Frequency domain assumes linearity (else the response will no longer be harmonic), and contact is a nonlinear phenomenon. Such a problem may not even have a periodic solution.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, When you say "vibrates", does that mean a frequency domain analysis? If so, contact cannot be used. Frequency domain assumes linearity (else the response will no longer be harmonic), and contact is a nonlinear phenomenon. Such a problem may not even have a periodic solution. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 15 mag 2015, 04:40 GMT-4
Hi,

thanks for your help. You are right. I have used a frequency domain and it didn't work. I have also built a static study. In this study, I have given a foce on a object and it should shift towards the other one and then should contact and the two objects should also collide.
But the object penetrates still the other one and it seems like, the contact pair didn't work.

Regards
Ruochen Dang
Hi, thanks for your help. You are right. I have used a frequency domain and it didn't work. I have also built a static study. In this study, I have given a foce on a object and it should shift towards the other one and then should contact and the two objects should also collide. But the object penetrates still the other one and it seems like, the contact pair didn't work. Regards Ruochen Dang

Reza Pakdaman Zangabad

Posted: 9 years ago 21 lug 2015, 08:59 GMT-4

After creating the contact pairs in the model under "definition", you should have specify it in the boundary conditions as well. What I mean is that you should use contact pair boundary condition under your module (let say you are using solid mechanics module) and there you should select which contact pairs you want to select If you wouldn't select it, the simulator assumes that there is no contact pair boundary condition. I think you have forgot to select the contact pairs in the boundary conditions under your solid mechanics module.
After creating the contact pairs in the model under "definition", you should have specify it in the boundary conditions as well. What I mean is that you should use contact pair boundary condition under your module (let say you are using solid mechanics module) and there you should select which contact pairs you want to select If you wouldn't select it, the simulator assumes that there is no contact pair boundary condition. I think you have forgot to select the contact pairs in the boundary conditions under your solid mechanics module.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.