Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving the full wave equation for an incident wave on a mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to COMSOL, my research group and I have decided to use this software to use the FEM solver for the full wave equation. The background to our work is that we are trying to model how waves propagate through human tissues. We have set up a mesh in COMSOL v 5.0 with the proper domains and material properties for our study, but are unaware of how to exactly set up the physics to solve the wave equation.

More specifically, we want to be able to model a single wave, and how it will propagate through human tissue. We believe that the pressure acoustics package has what we need, as we are modeling acoustic waves, but aren't sure how to set it up.

1. How can I set up a single wave through COMSOL? I have tried using monopole point source from the pressure acoustics physics package, but it seems dependent on points within the mesh. Ideally, I would like to be able to set up a wave with an arbitrary origin and displacement vector to study how it reacts to the mesh when/if it hits the mesh.

2. Is the Pressure acoustics physics package the correct physics to use to solve the full wave using FEM? We are trying to get an exact solution, instead of an estimation like ray tracing. I believe the frequency domain study solves the wave equation with FEM, but I am not sure.

I appreciate any and all help, thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 22 mag 2015, 08:41 GMT-4
Mao COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 22 mag 2015, 08:41 GMT-4
Hi Xavier,

COMSOL Technical Support will be happy to help you. Please:

1. Please log in to your COMSOL Access account www.comsol.com/access/ and add your license information;

2. Send your questions to support@comsol.com.

Best regards,
Mao
Hi Xavier, COMSOL Technical Support will be happy to help you. Please: 1. Please log in to your COMSOL Access account www.comsol.com/access/ and add your license information; 2. Send your questions to support@comsol.com. Best regards, Mao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.