Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Converting a complex boundary to an aea

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a problem building a geometry. After searching in the community without finding a solution I decided to start a new discussion.

Here is the short form of the Problem:
Its a 2D-Model, rotation-symmtric to the r-axis (so defining is done in r-z-plane).
I know the boundary of a spacer (Polynomial grad 4, etc.), so I defined this boundary piecewise.
And here ist the Question:
How can I convert the boundary to an area, to define a material for the area surrounded by the boundary? (like it is easily done for simple boundaries like circle, or rectangular shapes)

Here some additional information regarding the boundary:
There are several pieces of the boundary:
1. four curves defined by polynoms with grade 4
2. many linear pieces
3. two parts of a circle
4. some curves, that are complex formed. Here I only know points of the boundary. So I used a polygon, based on the points.

I tried to combine all elements to on boundary and made shure, that the boundary is closed, but I have not found a possibility to define this boundary as area.

Thank you for your help.

Hannes.

2 Replies Last Post 22 mag 2015, 09:53 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 20 mag 2015, 07:45 GMT-4
Hi,

If the curves form a closed area, you should be able to convert the area into a domain (a solid) by adding a Convert to Solid node (from the Geometry>Conversions menu). In the Convert to Solid node's Settings window, add all curve objects to the Input objects list under Input, and then click Build Selected or Build All Objects. If the selected curves do not form a closed area, the resulting solid becomes empty, and a warning that the output object is empty appears.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, If the curves form a closed area, you should be able to convert the area into a domain (a solid) by adding a Convert to Solid node (from the Geometry>Conversions menu). In the Convert to Solid node's Settings window, add all curve objects to the Input objects list under Input, and then click Build Selected or Build All Objects. If the selected curves do not form a closed area, the resulting solid becomes empty, and a warning that the output object is empty appears. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 9 years ago 22 mag 2015, 09:53 GMT-4
Hi Magnus Ringh,

thank you. It works after I looked very carefully at the transfer points of my splittet boundary to see, that it is not closed. There was a gap at the transfer points with about 6.5 um length.

Best regards.

Hannes Pietsch.
Hi Magnus Ringh, thank you. It works after I looked very carefully at the transfer points of my splittet boundary to see, that it is not closed. There was a gap at the transfer points with about 6.5 um length. Best regards. Hannes Pietsch.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.