Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

basic query on multi turn coil domain feature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear sir/madam,

I've started working with Comsol very recently. While I was trying to simulate a coil with 100 turns using the MTCD feature and trying to see the the effect of eddy current on a metallic plate, I encountered a confusion on how the 'numeric coil type' actually works. The coil I'm simulating is Rectangular cuboid shaped coil and in practical experiment I've wounded wires around that (just like a transformer winding). So I used in simulation numeric coil type in MTCD feature, but my problem is how should I select a 'boundary' as 'input' under automatic current çalculation' feature under MTCD so that windings around the coil is taken care of.

2 Replies Last Post 28 mag 2015, 12:20 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 28 mag 2015, 11:06 GMT-4
Hi Tapabrata,

There is a very useful guide on the various ways comsol can handle coil calculations, I have attached it to this message. It gives details on the benefits and limitations of each coil simulation option.
If you are using the numeric coil, you need to make sure:

-Must have constant cross-section perpendicular to current direction
-Preferable not to have sharp corners in the cross section
-Use fillets

Hope this helps.

Mark
Hi Tapabrata, There is a very useful guide on the various ways comsol can handle coil calculations, I have attached it to this message. It gives details on the benefits and limitations of each coil simulation option. If you are using the numeric coil, you need to make sure: -Must have constant cross-section perpendicular to current direction -Preferable not to have sharp corners in the cross section -Use fillets Hope this helps. Mark

Posted: 9 years ago 28 mag 2015, 12:20 GMT-4
Thank you so much, it is very detailed and excellent explanation. It's very helpful, thank you so much...
Thank you so much, it is very detailed and excellent explanation. It's very helpful, thank you so much...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.