Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field propagation through waveguide window

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am studying effect of fused silica window inserted into circular waveguide. I have modeled it using 2D axial symmtery and simulate for TE01 mode at 140GHz frequency. I have attached two images 1. efield propagation without window 2. efield propagation with window.

Can anyone tell me why number of wavelengths are decreased inside window?

2 Replies Last Post 1 giu 2015, 03:41 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 30 mag 2015, 15:34 GMT-4
The wavelength [not the "number of wavelengths"] is indeed decreased inside the window, because the phase velocity of the wave inside the window is less than outside it. And that follows from the fact that the window material has an index of refraction that is greater than elsewhere in your model.
The wavelength [not the "number of wavelengths"] is indeed decreased inside the window, because the phase velocity of the wave inside the window is less than outside it. And that follows from the fact that the window material has an index of refraction that is greater than elsewhere in your model.

Posted: 9 years ago 1 giu 2015, 03:41 GMT-4
Thank you sir for your reply...It helps me a lot...
Thank you sir for your reply...It helps me a lot...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.