Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying bias electric field in RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I need to apply bias DC field on some material in my simulation.
My simulation is running using Rf module. How can I combine this function in my simulation?
I tried to add manually to the field component through the equation view, but I am not sure its the correct way to do it.

What is the right way?

Thanks,
Elad.

2 Replies Last Post 12 ott 2015, 09:21 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 4 giu 2015, 20:07 GMT-4
That depends. Are you trying to do this in the frequency domain or time domain? Presumably the properties of this material depend on the applied bias field, right? So: (1) if you already know exactly how that dependence works, then you should probably just define the material properties (while knowing separately what bias would yield them) instead of trying to impose a dc bias literally in the model. This would allow you to work conveniently in either freq or time domain for the rest of your problem, while holding the "dc bias" fixed. (2) Alternatively, if you don't know how the dc bias affects the material properties, but you have some kind of relationships that are subject to a statics solution in Comsol, you could employ that statics computation first, and use it to document the required relationship, thus effectively bringing you back to situation # 1. Finally, (3), If neither of those approaches appear feasible, then it seems to me that you need to use a time-domain model. In that case, you can impose any fields you want, from dc to whatever, in whatever temporal or spatial configuration or combination you decide, just so long as your mesh sizes and time steps are small enough, and you have enough computer memory and patience.
That depends. Are you trying to do this in the frequency domain or time domain? Presumably the properties of this material depend on the applied bias field, right? So: (1) if you already know exactly how that dependence works, then you should probably just define the material properties (while knowing separately what bias would yield them) instead of trying to impose a dc bias literally in the model. This would allow you to work conveniently in either freq or time domain for the rest of your problem, while holding the "dc bias" fixed. (2) Alternatively, if you don't know how the dc bias affects the material properties, but you have some kind of relationships that are subject to a statics solution in Comsol, you could employ that statics computation first, and use it to document the required relationship, thus effectively bringing you back to situation # 1. Finally, (3), If neither of those approaches appear feasible, then it seems to me that you need to use a time-domain model. In that case, you can impose any fields you want, from dc to whatever, in whatever temporal or spatial configuration or combination you decide, just so long as your mesh sizes and time steps are small enough, and you have enough computer memory and patience.

Posted: 9 years ago 12 ott 2015, 09:21 GMT-4
Thanks! I run it in the frequency domain. I finally used option (1) and it worked well.
Now, I need to use a solution of electrostatic field in my RF module. I would like to do it without modeling the material or the volume of the solution to an equation. What are my possibilities?
Thanks! I run it in the frequency domain. I finally used option (1) and it worked well. Now, I need to use a solution of electrostatic field in my RF module. I would like to do it without modeling the material or the volume of the solution to an equation. What are my possibilities?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.