Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to smooth sharp gradient across element

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am running a transient heat conduction simulation where the heat source is a function of a variable W, where W is solved using the Domain ODE. The condition for the heat source is such that"

Q > 0 if W<=1
Q<0 if W > 1

I tried implementing it by keying in:

Q*(W<=1)

into my heat source term but I couldn't get convergence. I believe this may be due to the sharp change in Q over the element so I tried smoothing it using a piecewise function but that doesn't help either.

Is there any way to overcome this? In FeNics, an open source software, it is possible to project onto the elements such that a C0 continuity is prescribed to allow for the jump in Q. Is such a thing possible with COMSOL?

Best wishes,

Ean Hin

0 Replies Last Post 11 giu 2015, 00:40 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello EH Ooi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.