Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Obtaining length and width values from a heat plume in a geothermal doublet reservoir simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have created a reservoir with two wells (injection and extraction) and I am observing how cold water injected at one well reaches the initial warmer temperature at the other well. I am trying to extract data that tells me how the width and length (or simply area) of the temperature plume differs over time. So basically a time vs Temperature plot for the width and length of my plume.

Anyone any suggestions to how I could tackle this problem?

Thanks!

Karel

3 Replies Last Post 29 apr 2017, 08:08 GMT-4
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 19 giu 2015, 05:51 GMT-4
Dear Karel,

In COMSOL you can compute a volume / surface integral, in which you can put your own expression.

For example if you want to find the volume of the plume, you could integrate over the whole domain the expression: "T>300". This will count the volume where the temperature is higher than 300 K.

To find the area of the plume, you could integrate this expression on a surface with a surface integral. You can then select one of the cross sections in your domain or create one yourself.

The attached file shows the implementation in 4.4.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Karel, In COMSOL you can compute a volume / surface integral, in which you can put your own expression. For example if you want to find the volume of the plume, you could integrate over the whole domain the expression: "T>300". This will count the volume where the temperature is higher than 300 K. To find the area of the plume, you could integrate this expression on a surface with a surface integral. You can then select one of the cross sections in your domain or create one yourself. The attached file shows the implementation in 4.4. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 9 years ago 26 giu 2015, 09:36 GMT-4
Frank,

Thanks a lot!

I got it all worked out now.

Karel
Frank, Thanks a lot! I got it all worked out now. Karel

Posted: 7 years ago 29 apr 2017, 08:08 GMT-4
Hi Karel, have you considered a 3 dimensional problem or a 2D. Can you share the mph file. I would like to know how you resolved this problem. Even I am working on the similar problem what you addressed.
Hi Karel, have you considered a 3 dimensional problem or a 2D. Can you share the mph file. I would like to know how you resolved this problem. Even I am working on the similar problem what you addressed.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.